Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Road Less Traveled Does Not Exist!

Sevilla was ammmazing!! I finally got to catch up with my friend K, who I studied abroad with almost 2 years ago. We got to dance and hang out and explore the city all over again. It was wonderful.

The only slightly frustrating thing was not remembering my Spanish. I was surrounding by great people having fun conversations and not understanding anything and with only 3 days there, I had no time to get back into it! argh.

All the more reason to go back again and for even longer!!

So when we left, we got up super early (aka 7 am) (early for us!) and hit the road. We caught 2 buses, made it to the Sevilla airport, grabbed some breakfast, and got our cute rental car.

I was the only one on the insurance to drive, and it was stick, which I dont drive all the time, so I was a bit worried, but in fact it was great!

I loved the car and it had a great shift...so off we went!!

About 3 or 4 hours into the trip we come to our first big change on the road, getting off at exit 170 onto the A-43. We go ahead and do that and J and E fall asleep. I am just going along when the A-43 changes to A-40. Oh well, no biggie, I am still going in the right direction. Wrong.

I start seeing signs for Cordoba, which is back towards Sevilla) and have a little panic, plus the car is almost on empty. FUDGE.

So we turn around and look for a gas station. About 45 mins later, we find one, get off and hurry over. While I am filling up, E goes inside to ask for directions.

She comes back with a smurk of, `you will never believe it but...´oh god now what??

The road we need according to the gas attendant..DOES NOT EXIST.

They have not finished it. Holy crap. Way to go Spain!!!

So we turn around and look for a road called N-301. Sweet, we find it and we hit the road. Turns out it is a single lane road, WITH trucks.

We had to haul ass and go around trucks and stay calm. OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG WE HAVE A FLIGHT TO CATCH.

So we get to a sign saying San Clemente or Madrid...what the hell, where is VALENCIA???

We ask the workers on the side of the road and they said go to Madrid. Fine, I pull a huge u-turn, truckers beeping at me, and hit the road Jack.

Oh wait...that road does not lead us there EITHER. So E has to get out again at some sketchy brothel looking place and they say turn around again. Magically 20 mins later we find an exit for A-43 and sail through the next 5 hours.

After all that a 7 hour trip takes about 10 hours and we RUSH to the car place, drop the car, grab our bags, and haul ASS to the desk with 15mins until they close for check in.

We made it...so a little victory dance and head to Dubrovnik.

Croatia here we come!!
More to come in the next week with fabulous stories of sightseeing, bed bugs, and no hot water!

Hasta Luego!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!! I thought I loved "The Amazing Race", but your blog is my new love! wooooo hooooo, very exciting!

2:19 PM  
Blogger jeanne said...

I can't believe you made it in time! you are the queen of the 15-minutes to lift-out boardings. My heart can't take much more of this! What a ride!

can't wait to hear what croatia is like. i'll have to go look at some travel sites!

LOVE YOU, keep up the good writing! :)

7:04 PM  
Blogger jeanne said...

lift-off. not lift-out. whatever!

7:04 PM  
Blogger John said...

Sounds like you could use a GPS navigation device there! Well wait, the device is only as good as the maps that are included with it or subsequently loaded onto it.

Nothing much here happening on a saturday night; wish I'd checked your blog friday at least.

Keep having a wonderful time!

3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home