Thursday, September 04, 2008

Play Dumb

So I have had QUITE the few crazy days! The first story is this however. Playing Dumb really helps, especially when it is a 40€ fine for not buying a ticket on the metro system in Frankfurt.

So J, E, and myself were going around Frakfurt, finding some dinner and took the metro...we realized after day 1 that no one checked to see if you had a ticket...day 3 we realized, oh shoot, under cover metro police are on the lookout!

They came over to us to ask for a ticket in German, and I just looked at them confused and asked what they said. Then in English he said ´ticket` and I said, ´`yes I would like to buy one`´(acting like I thought we should buy them on the train, knowing full well we just needed to act as stupid as possible.

Well it totally worked! It would have been 40€ EACH since all three of us did not get tickets and the nice undercover cops got off the train with us, showed us how to use the simple dumb machine, and made us just buy the ticket for that day...

sometimes playing dumb gets you a long way!

2 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Hello World Traveler,

Well, This is my first time ever interacting with a blog, or at least interacting to the extent of replying to a blog post! Guess my john.kw4u@gmail.com account is going to come in handy after all since that's the information I entered in order to gain permission to post a response here.

I saw your email when checking my home account from work, then followed your instructions to access your sevillanova blog, which link is now in my favorites. Emily has her own blog as well, so at this point I'll want to chat with her about how to start my own blog.

I've read all your blog entries, even the ones going back to your semester in Seville, but I'm responding to this particular entry since I do have some familiarity with the train system in Germany, courtesy of my three visits to Emily. You handled the situation in exactly the right way. I confess that it didn't occur to me to tell you about the ticketing system there. Its like an honor system, but their version of the transit police have the right to request that you present your ticket when asked, and as you now know, the fine is pretty hefty if you can't produce a ticket, though I thought it was 25€, which it actually may have been two / three years ago.

Well, I've just arrived home from work, but I'm going over to help Billie Jean Keith sort out some of Bud's blindness technology (Bud having passed away on June 14th), and then we're both going to this evening's monthly NOVA Council of the Blind meeting; a lot of business to conduct there; then back home hopefully no later than 10:00 so that I can catch McCain's speech.

Now that I've got your blog site in my internet favorites list, I'll be sure to check it frequently.

Love you!
Daddy

8:56 PM  
Blogger jeanne said...

I can see that i taught you well!

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home