Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Pearl of the Adriatic Sea

So we arrived in Croatia, which let me tell you is so gorgeous. I know I probably say that about every place we have gone, but I give us props...we picked pretty places!!

We arrived at about 11pm in Dubrovnik, to stay the night and then head to Zadar, a small Croatian town the next day. We got picked up by a nice man named Sergio, and dropped off to our hostel that was right in the middle of old town, surrounded by the city walls and made of marble. Unreal.

We were so excited and found our hostel on a small side street and began to climb up. It was in an old building where you can see your neighbors almost face to face the buildings were so close, and we had our own kitchen and bathroom. Wonderful!

We get in the shower, geta few things unpacked and hit the sack after a long day of traveling.

We turn off the flights and I start to feel things crawling...no it can't be bugs...okay...that itches...OKAY something is CRAWLING ON ME!

I get up and say something, next thing I know J is up saying the same thing. Lights go one and BUGS ARE ON ME.

Granted I think they were only nats, but ew.

So we slept in our sleeper sheets (thanks to moms advice!) and had a pretty crappy sleep full of drunks on the street, hearing someone vomit downstairs, and constant yelling.

What a great start!

3 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Well, perhaps its a slightly faulty pearl what with bugs, drunks, vomiting in the lobby, but over all, sounds like things are going great! Was envious to hear about the salmon dinner; think its time for me to have another good seafood meal. Actually, I did have one the friday before last. The Filene Center at Wolftrap closed out its summer season with Les Mis this year, and I went to see it with Becky, a work colleague. (We had seen Jesus Christ Superstar there last year. Becky likes theater, and with Emily back in Kansas...) Anyway, before going to see Les Mis, we ate at our fave mexican restaurant in Arlington, El Passo, and they had a new appetizer dish, ceviche, with raw shrimp and scallops in lime juice with lettuce, onions, and corn kernels. It was really awesome, and despite being characterized as an appetizer, they give you so much, it really was a satisfying meal unto itself.

Today promises to be like yesterday, nice and warm outsdide, but without the pool, I don't much care. Yes, I do have a balcony, and maybe I'll sit out there, but can't much see the point of getting hot without a means of cooling down and getting refreshed. I really should get back to my correspondence chess course, but don't think I'm up for that today, just more leisure reading. Oh, our condo book club does meet tonight. This month's book was "Playing for Pizza" by John Grisham; an easy read, but I felt it was so much "fluff" compared to the heft and substance of his other work.

Okay, keep having a great time. Don't know what you might be able to get over there in the way of bug repellent, but that might be a good investment.

LAll My Love!

5:20 PM  
Blogger jeanne said...

ewww! thank god you have the smartest mom on the planet!

"We got picked up by a nice man named Sergio..."

Was he just out for a good time?! Some random guy just picked you up??? You make me laugh out loud!

The people yelling and vomiting outside? You're making it sound like home!

It does sounds wonderful! Can't wait for pictures! LOVE YOU!

2:01 AM  
Blogger 21stCenturyMom said...

You need to fumigate your stuff on the sidewalk when you get home. Do NOT take it into the house with you until you have covered it in RAID. Seriously.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home