Saturday, October 04, 2008

Buy One, Get Me Free

Our second day in Istanbul we decided to hit up the Topkapi Palace and the Grand Bazaar (ladies and gentlemen it is the size of 3 or 4 football fields and hosts 4500 shops!)

Of course it was raining, since rain follows us, but again, we couldn't give up the day, and we made the best of it!

We headed to Topkapi, got our tickets, and headed into this huge palace, which takes a few hours to go through. It was awesome! We got to see the old kitchens, hundreds of rubies, sapphires, and swords, plus countless plates & garbs of the big kings who kicked everyones butts & got what they wanted!

But seriously the place was awesome and it was a good thing to do on a rainy day, plus I look good in my rainy day outfit & gives me a reason to not get dressed up, which is always a plus.


(girls at Topkapi Palace)

That took us through most the day and we were going to go to the Bazaar, but figured we would dedicate an entire day to that on Sunday.

So we again did some cat napping, grabbed some food at our hostel, which was cheap & filling, and the manager sang 80s songs to us while he smoked. It was pretty entertaining!

We walked outside of our hostel to grab a cab, and let me tell you that everyone warned us about the sketchy Turkish men and how you have to be careful, but I give these guys props. They are creative!

In just a few mins walk down our street we got just these few calls:
"Hi ladies, do you have facebook?"
"Buy one, get me free" (at a store)
"Charlie's Angels"
"I think you have an appointment with me"

...well done men, well done. If you are gonna hit on me and be creepy, at least be creative!

We grabbed a cab, met T and went to a club called Babylon, the apparent hot spot of Istanbul. But again, expensive! It was 35 lira to get in the door aka $30, which I don't think I have ever paid to get in some where and they played 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s metal...oh jeez.

Then I had the bright idea that drinks were more expensive than shots (according to the dude at our hostel) so I ordered J & I a shot of tequila....24 LIRA. What the HELL.

So that was all the money for that night and the girls & I had an awesome sober dance party on the floor for my last night in Istanbul, with air guitar and head bobbing included. Beats having a hang over!

1 Comments:

Blogger jeanne said...

ha ha i love the headline! you have learned the art of writing good headlines, that's for sure! sorry you have to return to real life. :(

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home