Thursday, September 07, 2006

|@#~#€¬~€~##~¬'¡?¿=(/&%&$%

Above is my feelings about this freakin city. Somewhere along the way I seem to have skipped the ¨loving this place¨to the ï´m sick of spanish and want to hear or see ONE movie that is not dubbed¨ But, since you are all dying to know about my greatest adventures I will let you know how more messed up this trip could possibly get. Lets start with my cell phone excursion. (obviously going to be a nightmare as I have the worst luck on this planet)
So after not speaking a word of spanish, going on a small trip to Italica and looking at ruins, with a woman who was our spanish tour guide, and being in spain, spoke ALL spanish, I went to find myself a cell phone so my crazy mother and I could talk. It was indeed an adventure.
My best friend Jen went with me and I got a phone with a phone card. All was well. Until I tried to call me madre por un tarre international and the numero 2 button decided it did not feel like working. SWEET. I really love this place--did I mention that? So the next day I had to go back to the store, by myself, have my host mom write out in spanish how to say the button does not work and then freakin spend 2 hours in there getting it fixed. The guy did the same thing about 25 times only to discover (gasp!) I was right that the stupid sevillian phone did not work. So I had to get a new one and pay 10 more euro. VOMIT.
So the next day Jen and I got on the family plan to make calls cheaper and I put 40 euro of chatting time on my phone, obviously putting it on my fathers emergency credit card and not telling him. Then that night...hmmm I get a spanish text message, dont understand exactly what it says, and then figure out it says I only have 3 euro left on my phone. So I clearly have a panic attack and have to go back to the store AGAIN and the woman there tells me to check the number it was credited to. Wow, Thanks Sevilla you cannot read a 9 from a 5. So I had to deal with that all day. Phew. I mean this city is just AWESOME.
Then I got drunk last night (its legal here woo woo) because I heard if you get drunk you will automatically speak more spanish. Again, I am the exception. I attempted, failed, and then decided I was going to make up my OWN spanish words by adding an´0 to everything. Then I met a creepy torro bull man who was 30 and bought me a delicious drink. SWEET. FREE DRINKS. That is the only part I like. But then he annoyed me, so I drunkenly took a cab home with the bf on the phone and explained that I think Sevillian men are creepy.
So alas, my latest adventure is that I was going to switch out of my school to an easier one, and of course, like usual, I cried. My mom says it always helps. lol. So I spent the pass hour there deciding not to switch because it takes too much effort, so I am praying I will just figure out spanish in the next 3 weeks. Maybe I should drink more.
Also note to everyone, i don´t have internet, I don´t understand the key boards here so forgive my punctuation, and thank you for all your awesome comments. I will try to write more when I learn more words.
Oh my new favorite phrase is lo siento. It means I´m sorry. Pair it with no entiendo and it seems to go smoothly. Then I just begin talking like David Sedaris in Me Talk Pretty One Day and hope they don´t think I am a kid who rides the short bus.
Adios chicos slash chicas. Yo escribo mucho a la dia.

5 Comments:

Blogger a.maria said...

LOL. i really, probably, shouldn't be laughing, but.. thats hysterical. i had much the same problem with my Germany phone when i was over there. sadly your spanish is better than my german, so THAT was a fun day!

well. you're definitely in deep immersion it sounds like. i'm still convinced after you get settled in your routine you'll start enjoying yourself! and if not, we can trade places, and you can come do graphic design, and i'll move to sevilla for the semester!!

deal?!

4:36 PM  
Blogger a.maria said...

OH! and the keyboard! i totally forgot about the vacocked keyboard.

boo. i miss europe. strangely enough, all this frustration makes me want to be there too!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

Thanks A.Maria! I will switch places haha

7:52 PM  
Blogger LBTEPA said...

AWWWW this so brings back memories of my first few weeks in Japan. IT GETS BETTER. and you get free legal drinks and your Dad is paying for your phone. So there is a silver lining. Hang in there.

5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very useful post. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you know that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home